Pages

Bisnis Tanpa Iuran Bulanan

Super Excellent Network Bersama Meraih Kebebasan Finansial Yang Sebenarnya

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Using Causative Verbs: Make, Have, Get




(a)    I made my brother carry my suitcase.
(b)   I had my brother carry my suitcase.
(c)    I got my brother to carry my suitcase.
Make, have, and get can be used to express the idea that “X” causes “Y” to do something. When they are used as causative verbs, their meanings are similar but not identical. In (a): My brother had no choice. I insisted that he carry my suitcase. In (b): My brother carried my suitcase because I asked him to. In (c): I managed to persuade my brother to carry my suitcase.
Forms
X makes Y do something (simple form).
X has y do something (simple form).
X gets Y to do something (infinitive).
Causative Make
(d)   Mrs. Lee made her son clean this room.
(e)   Sad movies make me cry.
Causative make is followed by the simple form of a verb, not an infinitive. (INCORRECT: She made him to clean his room.) Make gives the idea that “X” forces “Y” to do something. In (d): Mrs. Lee’s son had no choice.
Causative Have
(f)     I had the plumber repair the leak.
(g)    Jane had the waiter bring her some tea.
Causative have is followed by the simple form of a verb, not an infinitive. (INCORRECT: I had him to repair the leak.) Have gives the idea that “X” requests “Y” to do something. In (f): The plumber repaired the leak because I asked him to.
Causative Get
(h)   The students got the teacher to dismiss class early.
(i)      Jack got his friends to play soccer with him after school.
Causative get is followed by an infinitive. Get gives the idea that “X” persuades “Y” to do something. In (h): The students managed to persuade the teacher to let them leave early.
Passive Causative
(j)     I had my watch repaired (by someone).
(k)    I got my watch repaired (by someone).
The past participle is used after have and get to give a passive meaning. In this case, there is usually little or no difference in meaning between have and get. In (j) and (k): I caused my watch to be repaired by someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment